- You are here:
- Target Industries
TARGET INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
Targeting is well recognized as THE BEST approach toward successful economic development marketing. In 2015 the Pottawatomie County Economic Development Corporation prepared a Labor and Target Industry Analysis for the County. The Target Industry analysis drew on a combination of quantitative and qualitative analyses to identify a selection of key industry sectors and niches that should be the focus of economic development activities.
Based on the analysis completed by the project team and input received from community stakeholders, these target industries represent the best opportunities for sustained success in Pottawatomie County. These target industry recommendations are firmly rooted in reality as they: build upon Pottawatomie County’s existing strengths, leverage emerging opportunities within the region, and support the goals of the community.
Targeted industries are a mix of sectors that capitalize on Pottawatomie County’s existing clusters, unique assets, location and infrastructure to strengthen key industries already present, diversify into emerging industries, and capitalize upon short-term and long-term opportunities.
The staff utilizes a unique methodology designed to identify target industries. It includes the following steps:
1. Understanding what companies need when searching for a new location.
2. Reviewing locations and expansions in the region in order to identify the most active industries.
3. Assessing the economic development strength and weaknesses of a community in order to gain a general understandng, which active industries would fit best and which would not.
4. Selecting those active industries, which best match, the strengths of the Manhattan area as well as the rural areas of the county, as the best target industries.
These industries are targeted by PCEDC for future expansion and recruitment:
- Agricultural Business
- Bio-Science & Animal Health
- Education & Healthcare
- Food Processing
- Back Office
- Tourism & Recreation