Biosecurity & Food Safety
- The National Bio- and Agro-Defense Facility (NBAF) has put Greater Manhattan on the map in the worldwide Biosecurity & Food Safety industry. NBAF will be one of only two places in the world with BSL-3 and BSL-4 research facilities.
- Kansas State University has several highly regarded research programs and facilities for Biodefense, including the Biosecurity Research Institute.
- There is a critical mass of Biosecurity & Food Safety companies and research facilities in the region. In addition for NBAF and Kansas State University, Greater Manhattan is also home to the American Institute of Baking. The new NBAF facility and Kansas State University agricultural fields provide extensive space for research and testing in the Biosecurity & Food Safety industry.
- The North Campus Corridor, which is currently being planned and developed, will create space for additional Biosecurity & Food Safety companies and centralize key companies in one area.
- Kansas State University is currently working on developing a biosecurity and food safety PhD program.
- The Kansas State University Global Food Systems Initiative offers programs and resources throughout the university that prepare students for careers in the production, sustainability, nutrition, safety and transport of food.
- The Kansas State University Institute for Commercialization is a great resource for connecting university research and intellectual property to the region’s Biosecurity & Food Safety industry.
Greater Manhattan has a unique concentration of Biosecurity & Food Safety institutions, including:
National Bio- and Agro- Defense Facility
Kansas State University Biosecurity Research Institute
Kansas State University Global Food Systems
Kansas State University Institute of Commercialization
American Institute of Baking